Banner photo: snapping action shots mid-adventure - in the Wasatch in Utah, photo by Cathy O'Dowd
Adventure photography and film-making are a complex area. At one end of the spectrum we can all pull out our smartphones and snap a photo or a video. At the other end, world-class adventure photographers bring an artist's vision, years of training, and the athletic and adventure ability to get themselves into position to take the shot. If you are the best in the field, you can make big money and build massive influence (like Jimmy Chin @Jimmy_Chin - National Geographic photographer & North Face athlete - with his 1,7 million Instagram followers).
Building a career as a professional adventure photographer & filmmaker is beyond the scope of this website. However, improving your photo and film skills are very useful. Photos and film will help you:
- build social influence & provide content for media
- succeed as a brand ambassador
- produce content for project sponsors
- provide illustrations for paid talks
- illustrate the articles & books you hope to sell
- provide images to bring your crowdfunder to life
- illustrate the report/talk you may need to provide in exchange for your adventure grant
Initially this page will focus on helping adventurers improve their amateur photography skills. Later on I'll start to interview people who are managing to make real money doing it. (Let me know if there is someone you'd particularly like to see interviewed.)
Instagram is the social network of choice for the adventure and outdoor community - both the participants and the supporting brands - and it is all about imagery.